Saturday, April 3, 2010

I Don't Want to Grow Up, I'm a Toy's R Us Kid




This morning, per usual, I was sitting on my stoop with a hot cup of Italian coffee and the weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal. Much to my surprise, instead of being delivered my much anticipated Wall Street Journal, I received the Washington Post. Digesting this periodical folly took me a few minutes, pre-coffee consumption. Anyways once this idea settled, I pulled the paper from its plastic bag and was instantly tantalized by a front page article, a diatribe of Generation Y. Titillating as it was, I have a few questions for everyone. Why do historians and pundits feel it necessary to categorize age groups? It only muddies the water. These generational definitions are harder than ever to define. I find that many people have a hard time placing themselves in their own set categorization. What about the people that stand at the extreme ends of each generational group, that don't really associate? Are these people just floating around without their totally arbitrary marking? This aside, the article was analyzing work trends or, should I say weaknesses of the newly graduated workforce. It seems that many see us as lazy, demanding, and underachieving. We also would trade higher pay for more time off. Why can't we have both?

First and foremost, I'd like to say - go fist yourself, critics. Second, my generation is fully aware of the areas in which we need improvements, but thanks for pointing it out. We will find out bearings yet. In no doubt, this article was written by a baby boomer that's filling a position I should have, thanks again, asshole. It seems to me, and this may be totally trite, but our parents are totally to blame. They grew up with post WWII parents who smothered them with high demands and expectations for their children. They used their indoctrinated, hellish childhoods as cautionary tales for their own impending parenthood. We grew up in families with lower standards that didn't emphasize the same level of ethics and morals.

Ok, don't get me wrong, I didn't shit in my hand and smear it on the wall as a kid, I certainly had some hierarchy and discipline. Don't take this as my call for fascist austerity and I'm definitely not advocating corporal punishment. I do wish that my parents had been more clear about what I should be doing with my life. It in no way matched the militaristic structure many baby-boomers faced at home. Can you blame them for the counter-culture movement, Woodstock, and bell-bottom pants?

I can't draw the conclusion that we are just a product of our upbringing without discussing the influence media has on our sense of entitlement. Media targeted to our age group emphasizes get rich quick, retire young. As good little sheep we've tried to emulate this idea in whatever way is the quickest and easiest. Our apparent lack of moral and ethical responsibility, as this article specified, may bear some responsibility. Not only that, but we were once predicted to be a prolific generation with the rise of technology. Will the tool with which our skills are demanded , be the ultimate downfall of Generation Y? If our age group has a tech obsession, just wait for the tween generation, their like crack addicts about their toys.

This post is a perfect example of my penchant for rambling criticisms and somewhat perplexing statements. This article sent me off in a furry of thoughts and tangents. I couldn't help myself, they seem to have a finger on the pulse of our age group and we should all realize that post college employment will be a painful and agonizing integration of us and them. No Apologies, I Don't Think Before I Speak

No comments:

Post a Comment