Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sweet Home Colorado



"Boulder might be the closest a college town is to heaven - and not just because it is located at 5430 feet of rocky mountain high altitude. It is 27 square miles of relief from reality."

- Sports Illustrated


Sports Illustrated might not have been embellishing as much as many think. I had the pleasure of spending five years in boulder and I may just be a recent graduate relishing the college days that have passed me by, but in my mind there few towns that even come close. Two towns that I've heard rival Boulder are Austin, Texas and Eugene, Oregon and I hope to venture out there soon to check em' out. I recently left Boulder to see what else the world had to offer and in my opinion, Boulder trumps all. Let me tell you a few reasons why.

First I would like to say, those that speak ill of boulder are transparently bitter or just have forgotten how to have a good time. It's tough not to get consumed by the hedonistic opportunities at every corner. Each night, you could find an amazing bistro, followed by a wine or tequila bar with speciality drinks. Options are plentiful and run the gamut, ranging from The Kitchen, a European inspired restaurant, to Southern Sun Brewery, whose burgers could convert any staunch vegetarian. With over 500 bars and restaurants you'd be hard pressed to find yourself forced to eat at a chain, ubiquitous with many city eateries. Even if you did, there's always Chipotle, a Colorado based company, noted for it's fresh ingredients and high quality meats. Even the chain restaurants are better. There's a fast-food burger place that serves organic beef, does it get any better than that? Only in boulder can you justify eating fast-food, a town that most resembles heaven.

There are a few things that do irk some denizens: high taxes, the environmental police and a road system that is impossibly convoluted. Going east to west in Boulder is like getting to surf the internet un-censored in china. And sometimes the crazy liberal leftists and transient vagabond mountain-men make you wish that sterilization was legal.

Living there after college will most likely leave you poor and happy, over educated and under employed. In my mind, I'd take that any day. I'll see all soon, Boulderites!

No comments:

Post a Comment