Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Did you have fun in college? If you did, read this.





In respect to my college education, would I have been better off investing this money else where? Is a college education no longer a safe investment? Let's play the "what if game?". Unless you have a degree that equals a title upon graduation or you went to an Ivy-League institution, you're shit out of luck. In spite of the most minor or major of connections, even in the form of cronyism, many rarely mature into legitimate employment. Then there's the nepotistic tradition of family business. If you're so lucky to have this opportunity, I have a few things to say to you: fuck you and yes I'm bitter. The third thing I might say is, does daddy have any openings?

I don't sling crack rock and I don't have a killer jump-shot, which means that my search for the dare-to-be-great situation continues. Everyone is capable of being genius, amazing, gifted at something. The lucky ones find it at a young age and run with it. Then there's the second group, myself included, that struggle with day to day life, trying so hard to fill that void.

Reality Bites had it right. A movie that cyclically has people relating to it, depending upon the economic environment of the time. It has a timeless point to make-post college is a constant struggle where you are burdened with the task of defining your place within the societal hierarchy. I came out of college thinking the world owed me something. This is dead wrong. With one of the worst recessions in history, not only does the world not owe you something, but it probably doesn't even know you exist.

For many, the issue is that we can't translate our innate abilities onto paper. My resume in no way represents the things that I've done or am are capable of. Under-achieving and under-employed is where many of us find ourselves, hopelessly flailing around like small children in the deep end of the swimming pool. This will last until that one shining moment when someone takes pity and we are bequeathed with our first chance to tear the world a new one. When you do receive this golden nugget, hold onto it for dear life because you never know when the next recession will come.

Are we a lost generation, that for now, is stuck in a metaphorical purgatory? I point to the naivete due to childhood dillusions, fueled by comments like " you can be whatever you want to be," that will land crippling blows to our confidence, not to mention our retirement age. I don't mean to be a Debby downer, but there are some harsh realities that we're shielded from and in my case has led to feelings of disillusionement and crazy thoughts (this blog). No Apologies, I Don't Think Before I Speak

4 comments:

  1. Maybe we can pretend like we never went to college and remove it from our resumes. It would probably be best to erase the whole experience from our brains all together. I can guarantee you that we'd be CEO's in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhah, isn't it weird to think that most CEO's of publicly trading companies, like Coke, had below average grades in school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what they say.... A students teach B students how to work for C students :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard that, well shit looks like I'm working for the man from now on

    ReplyDelete